Saturday, July 12, 2014

Going for a Ride

The other day we were driving past East Side Lake and a bus of tourists was unloading in the parking lot as someone was getting the Spam Belle ready to launch.  I gestured out the window and commented, "Looks like they are going to take the boat for a ride."

"I don't understand," was Sam's reply.

"There are lots of people in the parking lot and they are getting the boat ready to take it out on the lake for a ride." I said, not really understanding what he didn't understand.

"I see the people and I see the boat, but you don't  take a boat for a ride.  The people are going to ride on the boat."

"Oooooh!" I smiled and had a little laugh. "Yes, Sam, you're right.  They aren't taking the boat for a ride, they are riding ON it.  The boat is taking them for a ride."

"I don't understand why people say ride wrong all the time."

Laughing, I had to agree and give Sam  a point for grammar.  "I guess about the only way you can really take a boat for a ride is if you are pulling it on a trailer."

No comments:

Post a Comment