Friday, July 27, 2012

Shots?! Gulp.

I almost forgot to share another first from our experience at the doctor office yesterday...

Rob is going to kindergarten and therefor he needed a few shots before the 1st day.  By a few, I mean 4.  Gulp.  1 mom, 3 kids, 4 shots.  This had potential for disaster written all over it.  At the word "immunizations" panic broke out.  But not by Rob.  No, Ray was the one freaking out.  "He has to get shots?!?!  I HATE shots!"  Ray's face was flushed.  Tears welled in his eyes.

"Ray, you are not getting any shots.  Just Rob and he's really tough."

"But I don't even want to see a needle!" A tear slipped over the rim of his eye and rolled down his cheek.

"Fine, you don't have to.  You can wait in the waiting room."

"Okay." Ray reluctantly agreed.

When the time came for Rob's immunizations, Ray retreated to read, Rob climbed up on my lap and took the 4 immunizations like Superman.  He barely even flinched and didn't shed a tear.  As the nurses and I made a big deal about how amazing and tough Rob was, Sam decided he wanted a chance.

"My turn!  My turn!  I want a shot now."

"That's a first," commented the nurse. "I don't think I've ever had a child want a shot before."

It only got more interesting as we explained to Sam that he wasn't getting a shot today and he dissolved into tears.

"Hey, Sam, how about we come back in October and you can get a flu shot then?  We can all get flu shots to keep our baby healthy."

"Okay," Sam sniffled and agreed.  Just don't tell your oldest brother I thought as the boys all picked out a lollipop.

Who would've thunk that only child getting the shots, would be the only child to not cry about it?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment