Monday, July 2, 2012

3 Reasons I Love Raising Boys

I can't believe the number of people who act as if I should be deeply saddened by the upcoming birth of another boy.  "Maybe #5 will be a girl."  "It's too bad you aren't getting a girl."  "ANOTHER boy?!  You poor thing."  Would a girl be fun and exciting, sure.  But so will a boy!  I love my boys and can't imagine life without any one of them.  If given a chance to trade one of my boys for a girl, I couldn't and wouldn't.  They are each so wonderfully and uniquely made.  And besides that, don't you know people, little boys love their mamas forever!

Reason #1-Sam
The other day I was getting ready to lay with Sam for what he calls "fake rest time" (nap time, as opposed to "real rest time" or bed time.)  His shorts were damp from sprinkler fun so we left them to dry in the bathroom.  Upon climbing into my bed with me, he started tugging at his t-shirt.  "Mommy, help me.  I need to take this off so I can be your huzzbin."  I laughed as I helped him peel his shirt up over his head and then he snuggled into next to me for a lovely nap.

Reason #2-Robby Roo
"Robby Roo, why don't you stop growing, stay 5 and live with me forever?"

"I can't Mommy.  Everyone has to grow."

"Maybe I can find some medicine to help you stop."

"I have to grow up, but I can live with you forever."

"I think you will grow up and probably get married.  I don't think your wife will want to live with me."

"Yup, she will.  I will find a wife and she can help you with all the cooking and cleaning!"

It wasn't just the words, but look of sincerity and devotion in his eyes as he spoke.

Reason #3-Ray
It was a near perfect summer evening.  Swimming and pizza topped off with a backyard fire.  Michael and I sat on an old beater love seat watching our boys chase fireflies and roast marshmallows.  When Michael got up to assist one of the boys with the roasting process, Ray ran over, snagged his seat, put his hand on his shoulder and pulled me back till my head rested on his shoulder.  It was such a sweet, loving gesture and topped off an evening that will live in my memory forever.

I love my boys and they love me.  I would trade that for any amount of pink in the whole wide world.

1 comment:

  1. Plus, you already have everything you need for a boy...perhaps a financial blessing?

    ReplyDelete