Monday, June 25, 2012

Thank You M&M's

Sam is not shy.  He may pretend to be for about 2.2 seconds, but it is a charade that he can only play so long.  It is then quickly replaced with his outgoing, exhibitionist style personality.  Wait, did she just say exhibitionist style?  Yes I did.  Sam loves the inhibited feeling of being in the nude.  It is not at all on common to find a pile of clothes and a few feet away a bare butted Sam.

I'm the mom of 3, soon to be 4 boys, I can live with this.  What is really getting to me is the words he is adding and all thanks to one commercial.  Perhaps you've seen it.  A brown M&M at a party is approached by another who says he didn't know it was that kind of party and rips off his candy shell and begins dancing as the song "Sexy and I Know it" plays.  You can about imagine my shock the first time my three year old starting shaking it and singing "I'm sexy and I know it! I'm sexy and I know it! I'm sexy and I know it!"

I have learned from parenting experience that A.) you have to choose your battles and B.) if you make something into a big deal, it only adds fuel to the desire for children to do it.  Carefully considering both of these points, I decided to not make a big issue of this.  Surely it will pass.  It hasn't.  I decided to try modifying the lyrics in hopes a word substitution would be a nice compromise while we wait out this phase.  I tried cool, awesome, funny, silly, and many others.  All were met with the same reaction.  "No Mom!  I'm SEXY and I know it!"  Sigh, I guess I'll have to take solace in the fact that he has no clue what he's saying.

The other day Sam was stripping down in the kitchen and Michael asked him what he was doing.  Sam looked at him and said, "Taking all my clothes off" as if it was the most natural and obvious thing in the world.  (Which in our house, it kind of is :/ )  Michael took Sam by the hand and started him up the stairs to find some PJ's and Sam sang and shook the whole way up.  I hide my smile but when Sam got to the top step, turned around and said, "Hey Mom!  Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!"  I had a hard time hiding my amusement from him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment