Tuesday, June 19, 2012

One of the Cool Kids

Was it about someone that makes them the cool kid?  You know what I'm talking about.  That person who seems to ooze confidence, is comfortable whatever with whoever, everyone knows his/her name, and he/she doesn't even seem to care.  I wouldn't know.  I am not the cool kid.  But somehow I think I might be raising of them, and frankly, it scares the begeebers out of me.

Last week the boys attended VBS at out church.  Even Sam.  They had a wonderful time and can't stop singing the songs of praise.  Especially Sam.

He walked around the church all week with his head held high and a big smile on his face.  He was loving every minute of it.  My favorite story from the week came from the bathroom.  His crew leader went in to check on him and there was Sam bare butt in the middle of the bathroom, sitting on the floor, humming away as happily was can be working hard to get his inside out undies on.  His crew leader thought it'd be weird to help him switch those around, so he let it slide.  He did try to help Sam get his shorts on but Sam insisted they be backwards.  So there went Sam the rest of the day, with his inside out undies, backwards shorts, and air of confidence and happiness through the rest of the morning.

As we were leaving on Day 5, I was astonished by the number of children ages 3 to 15 who made a point to tell Sam good bye.  As we loaded into the car and another car pulled over so the kids could hang out the window and tell Sam good bye, I heard one girl tell her dad, "Dad, that's Sam.  The one I was telling you about.  Isn't he just the cutest kid in the world?  And he's so funny!""  That when it hit, I, a total dork, just may be raising a "cool kid" and I have no idea what I'm doing.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know, I always thought you were pretty cool...and I'm no dork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thanks Sharon. I think you are pretty cool too, but I am a dork. Just ask my brother. ;)

    ReplyDelete