Monday, July 25, 2011

EVERYone???

We all have memories from childhood of saying things like, "But MOM!  EVERYone has one!"  To which parents across the world respond, "EVERYone???"  While we knew in our heads what our parents were saying, it wasn't what we wanted to hear it it certainly didn't help us move past the feeling we had in our hearts.

Yesterday Ray and Rob were in the swimming pool and I was walking around the yard watering my flowers.  As I water petunias near the pool I heard Ray and Rob working on their rendition of Kung Fu Fighting.  "You sing the first part and then I'll do the HUHs," Rob instructed his older brother.

"Everyone likes Kung Fu Fighting!" sang Ray. (He had already decided EVERYone was not fighting but more people liked Kung Fu Fighting.

"Huh! Huh!" chimed in Rob.

On and on they went switching up parts and adding actions and jumps into the pool.  When they got out Ray was following me around the yard continuing to sing to himself and then began to think aloud.

"Hmm.  I don't think EVERYone likes kung fu fighting.  90% like kung fun fighting!"

Pleased with his modification, he continued on with his new lyrics for a minute or two before he must have decided while that was an improvement, maybe that it was an accurate reflection of how people felt about kung fu fighting.

"98% like kung fu fighting!"

I don't know which part of me was more amused and pleased: the mom who was happy to have him think past the idea that of EVERYone else or the math teacher who has thrilled to see him playing around with ideas of mathematical concepts in a real world situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment