Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sam's Art

Sam loves to draw.  He draws just about anywhere and on anything and of a large array of subjects.  Here are 3 examples to better "illustrate" my point,  (Get it??? ;) )

1) Wall Art
Sam is our 3rd child and interestingly enough, we've never had much of an issue with writing on things other than paper.  I'm sure there's been the occasional scribble on the table and such, but nothing too memorable.  That must be why Robby looked horrified the other day when he came flying into my bedroom to let me know that Sam had a pen.  So???  And he's drawing!  Okay...  ALL OVER THE WALL! When I went to investigate, sure enough, there sat Sam, pen in hand, with quite the "mural" if you will all over the bathroom floor.

Just a week or so before that, I had gone to look for an all to quiet Sam when I found him with a pencil, no paper, and a large smile.  As I looked more closely, I saw that he had scribbled back and forth across our bamboo floor to cover approximently 2 foot by 8 foot of flooring.

On both occasions, I sternly spoke with Sam and transformed the prideful artist into a remorseful "I'll only color on paper now Mommy" little boy.  More importantly, I gave him a rag and made him help me scrub his "art" away.  Surely 1 of these times the lesson will be learned, right???

2) Dr. Office Art
At a recent trip to our family doctor, Sam ran out of paper.  No problem!  Dr. Holtz had a solution.  Sam, Robby, and Dr. Holtz proceeded to cover the paper on the exam table with an array of portraits.  Dr. Holtz was impressed by the number of body parts Sam added to his figures.  Not only does he get a head/body, arms, legs, face etc.  He also tends to add a little more...  "This is me.  This is my penis.  Now I need underwear, and now pants," says Sam as he adds layers to his portrait.

3) Body Art
As I mentioned above, Sam is very, um, well, detailed in his drawings and likes to make sure they are, well, I guess, accurate.  That isn't exactly what I was referring to here though by body art.  No, Sam actually likes to draw on his body.  The other day he walked around with a purple mark on his forehead all day because he had decided to "make the sign of the cross" on his head while holding a purple marker.  Last night, while putting on his pajamas, I noticed some turquoise markings all around his belly button.

"Sam, what happened?"

"Um, I have marker on my belly!"

"I see, how did that happen?"

"I didn't do it."

"Oh.  Then who did?"

"Hmmmm...."

"Robby, did you color on Sam today?"

"No, it wasn't Robby."

"I'm sorry, it was me," interjects Michael.

"No!  It wasn't Daddy, it was Calvin," says Sam.

"Calvin?  Really?  When did Calvin color on you?" I ask.

"At my birthday. Calvin colored on me at my birthday party."  Given that Sam's birthday was in February, we haven't even seen Cal since Sunday, and this is a Tuesday in November, call me a skeptic, but I'm not buying Sam's story...

Maybe someday, when he's rich and famous and people are paying big bucks for his art, I will regret washing Sam's one-of-a-kinds off my walls, but for now, I really, really wish he'd keep it to the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment