Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Socks & Underwear

Michael's birthday falls on October 31, yes, Halloween.  I try to make it special for him, but often feel like his day is overshadowed with pumpkins, costumes, and all things trick-or-treat.  For years I have told him that I am not decorating for Halloween, but for his birthday.  I even have a tote marked "Michael's Birthday Decorations" but since he doesn't particularly love black and orange, I think he knows I'm just humoring him.

As October drew to a close, I knew I was running out of time to get him the perfect present.  Granted, I had not a clue what that was.  So, I asked.  Apparently he didn't have a clue either.  Sooooo, I asked the kiddos.  One by one I asked them what they wanted to get Dad for his birthday.  Here are their replies.

Ray, "I was thinking I would make him a hug coupon book like I did for your birthday."  Not bad, very sentimental.

Rob, "Hmmm, how about a new shirt?  Maybe Angry Birds or Star Wars."  Well, it is the thought that counts.

Sam, very enthusiastically, "Underwear!" Huh?  What?!

"You want to get Daddy underwear for his birthday?"

"Yup, and socks."

"Socks and underwear?"

"It will make him smile," says Sam with a face cracking, light up the room smile.

"That it will!" I agree laughing.

Later that day, Sam, Rob and I stop into Target.  After careful consideration, Rob chooses a green Yoda shirt and Sam ends up finding "pirate" underwear and socks for Michael.  What soon-to-be 34 year old man doesn't want to wear skull and cross bone undies and socks?!

That same evening, Michael informs me that he thought of a gift idea for his birthday.  Sam overhears this and yells, "Underwear!"

"Huh?" asks Michael.

"Shh! Sam, remember, it's suppose to be a secret." I try to interject.

"You want underwear for birthday right Daddy?"

"Um, sure," Michael replies.

Sam is very pleased with himself and at least the print of the undies and the socks will be a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment