Monday, May 23, 2011

I Live With a Houseful of DORKS!!!

First and foremost, I think it is important that clarify a few things.  In our household, terms of endearment might be a little bit different that the ones you are used to.  I grew up in house where we lovingly and playfully used terms like dork, nerd, goose, and so on a regular basis.  No offense was meant and none was taken.  When my oldest nephew took offense to being called a silly goose, I was taken back.  I didn't mean it in an unbecoming way what so ever, but try as I may to explain it to my very matter of fact nephew, he just couldn't see any value in silliness so I ended up apologizing.  It was the first time I ever really thought about the idea that my values of silliness, goofiness, fun, and being dorky were not necessarily valued by others.  Needless to say, they ARE still values in the WX household today.  So if someone from my family calls you a dork, don't take offense, say "Thank you!"

Which brings me back to my post today.  I was explaining about my houseful of dorks...

My boys have been addicted to computers, books and Star Wars for quite some time now.  Recently, they have added YouTube to their list of things they obsess over.  Gone are the days of encyclopedias for looking up information; they now love going to Google or on YouTube to look for videos to answer all kinds of crazy questions and wonderings they might have.  In the last few weeks, Ray has come to the discovery that HE could make and post videos on YouTube too and he is anxious to give it a try.  

Before school one day last week, I heard Ray and Rob making plans for their first YouTube video.  They would like to make a video to teach other kids about the Civil War, or as Ray says, "the /k/ivil war."  (Who IS this child's reading teacher???  Oh wait.  That might be me.)  They were discussing what they might wear, if they should have a battle scene, what it should look like, what they will say and so on.  I smiled to myself thinking little to nothing will come from it.

After school that day, the buzz continued.  They were anxious to get started on their big project but decided they might need a little more background information.  They wanted to be as accurate as possible.  (Ray's words, not mine.)  When I suggested we bike to the library to see what we might find there, you would have thought I offered them a trip to a water park.

By the time we had the bikes all down and ready to go (first family ride of 2011!) Michael was home.  In his own way, he was also anxious to go to the library to get some Civil War reading material.  "I'd read the books too," was his comment.  Of course he would, and it wouldn't be with any arm twisting.  

Off we set to the library and with a little help from the online catalog I found the part of the library where our treasures could be found.  Scouring through the shelves of books we quickly accumulated a sizable stack of books on the floor around us.  Fortunately, the puppet theatre area was just a few feet to the side so Sam was able to entertain himself too because the boys weren't quick about making their selections.  I waited and made a few suggestions.  I flipped through a book here and there.  I tried not to appear bored, but it was tough.  History, especially wars: it's just not my thing.  I found myself urging the boys to choose 1 or 2 books each for checkout so we could head home.  Of course they immediately responded, sprang up and headed for the checkout right?  Try again.  They didn't even hear me!  IF they DID hear me at all, I'm sure I sounded like the teacher in Charlie Brown.  "Wah, wah, woh, wah, wah."  I got nothing.  No response what so ever.

Try again.  Same response.  Nada.

Third times the charm, right?  Nope.  Nothing.

At that point, I looked at the three of them.  I didn't just see Michael, Ray and Rob reading books on the floor of our local library.  I saw that they had all been teleported to another time period through the pages, words and pictures in the books they were bent over.  I laughed out loud as I looked at Michael and said, "Man!  I live with a houseful of dorks!"

Not being able to make it past the kitchen with his new book, Ray continuing his intent reading on the "K-ivil War" 

Robby paging through Civil War book also on the kitchen floor.

1 comment:

  1. Dorks, yes, but amazing that you have boys you can't get out of the library!

    ReplyDelete