Friday, May 6, 2011

TAG! and Happy Mother's Day!

I remember this day, seven years ago, the Friday before Mother's Day.  I was teaching kindergarten at Southgate Elementary School (go gators!).  I had always managed to send home some sweet little card and craft with my kiddos, but that year, it seemed a little more special to me.  I remember saying good-bye to all the lil sweeties clutching their projects to give to their mommy's and praying to myself that they would make it home to mom without too much destruction on the bus ride home.

More vividly, I remember walking down the hallway after school, was all the warm wishes from parents and co-workers.  It caught me a little off guard to hear the first "Happy Mother's Day, Billie Jo!" directed my way.  I even remember looking over my shoulder, to find the other Billie Jo they were wishing a happy mother's day to.  (As if that would ever happen!)  Feeling a bit silly, I tried to quickly recovered, smiled and greeted the well-wisher a happy mother's day in return.  It felt odd to be on the receiving end of mother's day wishes for the first time.

By the time I left school that afternoon, I must have received at least a dozen mother's day greetings.  I also quit looking over my shoulder and responded more quickly with a smile and a "Happy Mother's day to you too," or "thank you".  Driving home that afternoon, I remember smiling and feeling like I had just been accepted into some secret society of mom-dom.  Being a mom was great; I was a great mom.  This must be the best holiday ever invented!

That was seven years ago.  Looking back on that, I was soooo naive.  Don't get me wrong, being a mom IS great, at least most of the time.  ;)  But as moms, we'd be lying to ourselves if we said it didn't have it's moments.

Take the last few days for instance.  It has been a scream-fest.  I know you other mommies have been there.  As soon as one crisis is averted, another arises.  As soon as one child becomes cooperative, another begins his tantrum.  It's like they are tag-teaming you, but you don't have anyone in your corner to tag so you can catch your breath.

Sam screamed for 30-40 minutes yesterday morning about wanting a full glass of orange juice, and not a sippy.  How did I get him to stop?  I pulled up to daycare, slowed down enough to pass him off to his daycare mom, and hit the gas.  Thankfully, he stopped for her, but only so he could come home and pick up where he left off.  No lie, 90 minutes of screaming, crying, and kicking because I would not allow him to have the glass bowl full of cherry tomatoes.  Don't think I didn't offer a smaller bowl with a handful of them; that wasn't good enough for Sam.

I was so thankful when he woke up smiling today, but when I wasn't looking, he must have tagged Robby because Robby started screaming.  He screamed for at least 40 minutes about a worm-like insect that went missing.  He brought home what I honestly never saw, but Michael described as a maggot-like creature in a ziploc.  It's his new friend.  He is going to keep it forever.  Not in my house, I said.  Your "friend" can live in the garden.  Seeing an empty baggie this morning prompted Robby to recall his friend, run outside in his jammies to find his bestest friend ever and scream ridiculously when he couldn't find him.

"But I wanted to keep him forever!  He was going to live in my garden!  Someone probably stole him!  I never even got to say good-bye!"  Slightly irrational.  I'd say so.

After threatening to leave him home with Jaxson for the day and literally loading everyone else into the Yukon, I finally managed to get Rob out the door and off to school.  Whew.

7 years ago, this would have appalled me and sent me to the looney bin.  Even 2 years ago, this would have really shaken me for the rest of the day.   And yes, it does still fluster me from time to time, but I am amazed and how smoothly my day has managed to go after this rocky start.  I could take credit saying, "Wow, I've really grown as a mom!", but that wouldn't be fully accurate.  It would be more true to say, "Wow, with God's grace, I've really grown as a Christian mom."

I've learned this secret weapon in the last year.  I like to call it The Power of Mama Prayer.  When the screaming starts, so do the prayers.  I might look and sound like a crazy lady literally chanting at times, "Patience, God, patience!  Grant me patience!! Grant Robby patience!!" but I'm telling you, it's the only thing that keeps me sane some days!  For me, Mama Prayer is like saying, "I'm tired.  Tag, God!  You're it!"  It's been really nice to have God in my corner.

I smiled today as I watched my little preschoolers scamper out of class clutching their flowers with a little sign that read "Your love helps me bloom!"  I can't help but think that those same words are very fitting not only for the moms out there this Mother's day, but also for my Father.

So thanks to all the great mom's out there and thanks to the One who helps them plant seeds in little hearts and water them with the gifts of patience, kindness and love.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I can remember a young lady whose head would spin from time to time.

    Can you say, "PAY BACK"?

    You must remember that these days will be gone far too soon. At the time it doesn't seem like it, but turn around and they are gone. Then you get to sit back and watch your children receive their turn at the joys of parenthood, however.

    ReplyDelete