Monday, May 30, 2011

What's for Dinner?

Having spent most of the day under the weather, I was looking for a quick and easy dinner and I settled on, duh-duh-duh, PASTA!  Now you're a regular reader of my blog, I'm sure you have an idea where this entry may be headed, if you're not, you might want to go back and read about Rob's issues with pasta in a previous entry.  I made sure to have a veggie and breadsticks on hand so there would be SOMETHING Rob would eat.  I also decided to try a different tactic; when Rob asked what was for dinner, I replied, "Um, Spaghetti!" and on edge awaited his response.

Imagine my surprise when he responded, "YUM!  I love spaghetti!"  Really?  REALLY?  Never mind that this was actually rotoni noodles, spaghetti sauce and ground beef, literally the EXACT same meal as the last pasta episode.  I didn't think I could really pull this off this easily.  I figured that as soon as we sat down to the table and he saw the meal, all deals would be off the table and I'd lose.  So when Michael put the food on his plate and Rob began eagerly eating, I was really taken aback.

That's when I had my near fatal moment.  I made the mistake of uttering the P word.  "Sam, sit down and eat you pasta."  Rob's reaction was fast.  His head snapped in my direction, his mouth fell open mid bite and he gave me a questioning glare.  Think fast Mom, and that's exactly what I did. "OH, silly me!  I meant to say spaghetti."  Whew.  Rob went back to happily devouring his dinner.

I'd be sure not to make that mistake again!  But I guess Michael didn't catch on quite as quickly.  When he spoke pasta, my heart caught in my throat.  How long could we get by with this???  Surely we were busted now.  But maybe Rob didn't hear.  No he did in fact hear, but instead of freaking out he calmly said, "Silly Daddy.  He said pasta too!  Dad, it's SPAGHETTI, not pasta!"  and popped another bite into his mouth.

Score
Mom and Dad: 107
Rob: 1,354

1 comment:

  1. hahahhahha, that's hilarious. (and I'm having memories of our pasta nights in college)

    ReplyDelete